In my very first blog entry, I mentioned about being hesitant to bid for the ES2007s module due to the heavy workload. However, as I reflect on what I have learnt during the past 13 weeks, I have come to realise that this is one of the most enriching modules that I have taken up.
Classes for this module are different from the usual dull lectures where there is only a one-way interaction in which the lecturer speaks while the students listen passively. In this module, everyone is encouraged to speak up and interact with everyone else, i.e., teacher-students and students-students interactions. I definitely prefer having interactions during lessons as this not only livens up the class, students are also given the opportunity to ask or speak anything that’s on their mind at any time. I enjoyed listening to what others have to say as well as voicing out my own opinions.
For the first few lessons, I was not participating very actively during classes as I was still in the ‘keep-quiet-and-listen- to-the-teacher-speak’ mode. But as lessons passed, I became more receptive and participated more actively in class. Personally, I feel that this learning style should be implemented in the Singapore education system as the current learning method has mould students into passive learners who listens attentively but do not actively voice out their opinions.
As for the blogging part of the module, I must admit that I find this portion quite a chore! (Haha!) But it is through this communication channel that I get practise how to write again. I learned how to incorporate the use of 7Cs into my writing and gained useful comments from Ms Lim and my peers that helped me to improve on my writing skills and thought process. It is also through this channel that I get to understand and look at things differently through reading the blog entries of my classmates’.
Most importantly, I feel that the skills taught are extremely useful and can be applied now as well as in the future. Skills such as writing resumes, application letters, proposals, interview skills and oral presentation skills are those I would have to learn and use as a student, a job applicant and as a working adult in the future.
With all that said, I do not have any regrets about signing up for this module as the experience and skills gained are useful and practical. Many thanks to Ms Lim, my project mates and classmates for making this learning journey an interesting, enriching and memorable one! (:
| Our ES2007S Class |
| Ms Lim & Team Go Green! |
Hey Jojo!
ReplyDeleteThank God you bidded for this module despite the workload or we wouldnt have met! :D Haha, you are the first Yishuner I have met in NUS!:)
I also noticed you began to speak up as time goes by. It is definitely a good effort as being vocal (not overwhelmingly vocal of course) is an advantage when we go out to the working society. Perhaps because I am from Arts and speaking up in class is a norm, I feel that ES2007S is a good module that have challenged science students to be more vocal. You are a great example!:)
I also enjoyed working with you for the proposal and oral presentation. I doubt our group could have achieved what we did without your assistance. You really took a lot of the workload off my shoulder and THANK YOU for that!! I do appreciate it!:D
Will def stay in touch!:D
xoxo,
Genevieve
I totally agree with you Joanna in the point that the education system in Singapore is not interactive. It may be because of large number of students in lectures. But ES2007S module proved to be an exception. It just had 15 students in each class and gave a very good opportunity for interactive classes.
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning, I did not notice you at all. You were so quiet. But later in some activities I had to talk to you and then I knew about you well. It is good that you became out spoken by this module. Out Spoken is one of the qualities that you must have to be successful in your career.
I am happy that I got a good friend through this module and love to keep in touch in future too. All the very best for your future.
Hi Joanna!
ReplyDeleteI had an interesting, enriching and memorable time also for the past 13 weeks in ES2007S. I had so much more opportunities to voice my opinions in a seminar-styled class as opposed to the ususal mundane lectures that we always have. This is definitely more beneficial as we are actively participating in class and critical thinking would be incorporated. I really hope that there could be more modules (especially core modules) that are conducted this way! (:
Thank you for bidding this module, otherwise I would not have the chance to do peer teaching in the same group as you. It was hectic but I really enjoyed working with you and jun lin (very) late into the night even, to complete the slides' animations! Hahah(:
Remember to keep in touch alright! Tennis again soon, take care! (:
Dear Joanna,
ReplyDeleteThanks for always being the friendly and cheery student who brightens up my every class.
It is good to know that you found the module beneficial. I'm also happy to hear that the various components in ES2007S are of help to you.
Keep up your positive and determined spirit, and you will succeed in whatever you do! All the best, Joanna. It is my pleasure to have you in class this semester!